If you want something spectacularly interesting to do during your next vacation, you should consider a visit to the Kruger National Park. This massive national game reserve is located in Mpumalanga and is famous for its wide array of indigenous fauna and flora. They also have the Big Five, which is one of the biggest attractions in the world when it comes to wild animals. The Kruger National Park is only a few hours’ drive from Johannesburg’s OR Tambo International airport, which makes it the ideal tourist vacation spot in the province. It is also possible to arrange a private flight to Hoedspruit and to drive the short distance from there to visit the Kruger Park. The park itself is steeped in history and there are several heritage sites that are considered extremely valuable and interesting. Along with game viewing, there are also several other interesting things you can do during your Kruger Park visits.
- Stay at a Fabulous Safari Lodge: There are few things as pleasurable as staying in a privately owned, luxury safari lodge in the African bush. You will find around fifteen of these lodges in the park, but if you want to stay at one of the best safari lodges in the area during your Kruger Park visits, choose Lukimbi Lodge. The lodge is located in a spectacular spot and has luxury suites, superb services, delicious food, and as much comfort as a proper five-star lodge can provide. Various activities can be arranged, and the romantic element of staying in this lodge will remain with honeymooners forever.
- Game Viewing: It goes without saying that some of the most popular activities during Kruger Park visits include game drives and hikes. People usually spend most of the day game spotting – driving slowly through the park to see how many different species they can encounter. The main goal is usually to spot the Big Five, which consists of the five largest and most dangerous animals in Africa, namely the elephant, rhino, lion, buffalo, and leopard. The leopards are especially well camouflaged, and it is indeed a treat to see one. Because of rhino poaching, their numbers have dwindled considerably, which often makes them the number one priority to see when it comes to game viewing.
- Check Out the Rest Camps: The Park has a long list of rest camps that are safely fenced in and provide accommodation, restaurants, swimming pools, curio shops, and other interesting attractions. You can spend a night at Lukimbi Lodge and then spend the day following the map from one rest camp to another, spotting game along the way, before taking a refreshing break or enjoying a delicious lunch in one of the rest camps.
- Visit a Cultural Village: People have been living in this area for centuries. Some of these cultural villages still exist where the people live off the land. Visits to these interesting villages can be arranged, and you can learn more about their way of living during your Kruger Park visits by eating with the villagers, watching how they make their different crafts, dancing, and learning more about their traditions.
- Stop at a National Heritage Site: The Kruger National Park is home to several conservation areas that protect and preserve sites that are of historical value. Here you will find an Iron Age village, graves, artefacts, drawings, and other interesting things that were part of normal life on the land centuries ago.
- Braai in the Bush: This may seem scary for most – having a barbeque in the wild without being protected by fences and guards. However, it is very safe and also one of the most incredible experiences you can have. A guide will drive you out to a location where lanterns and fires light up the area. Here you can sit and enjoy the wild sounds at night while traditional South African food is prepared for you over an open fire. It is a fun and thrilling experience you should consider during any of your Kruger Park visits!
- Hot Air Balloon Rides: In the world of romance, there aren’t many things that can beat a hot air balloon ride over the African bush. Most of these take place at sunrise or sunset when it is cooler, and more animals can be observed.
There are many other activities that you can enjoy during your Kruger Park visits. The area around the park also provides a variety of unusual places to see and many activities you can try as well! To book your stay at Lukimbi Lodge, just give our team a call.