What to Pack When Going on African Wildlife Safaris
Few modern-day adventures can hold a candle to the thrill and excitement of African wildlife safaris. The rugged call of nature… the pristine landscape that takes your breath away… the majestic animal kingdom roaming their natural habitat… It is at once an exhilarating rush and a gloriously humbling experience.
Even better, African wildlife safaris are so far removed from our regular routine and environment that they offer the perfect escape from everyday life. However, that also poses a challenge. As it is so different from our daily activities, how do you know what to pack? You still want to make sure you enjoy the absolute best adventure possible.
To help you prepare, here are some practical items that travellers want to have with them when embarking on African wildlife safaris:
- Cash – While most established businesses accept debit and credit cards, there are also many informal outlets and artists who you may want to support that do not have card facilities.
- A Camera – You are guaranteed to see some impressive and breathtaking sights on African wildlife safaris. Make sure you have a camera to capture select moments, as chances are, you would want to relive these again once you have returned from holiday.
- Sun Protection – The African sun can be harsh, even in winter, and nobody wants their wildlife safaris spoiled by sunburn. Pack some sunscreen, as well as a hat and sunglasses for when you are out in the bush.
- Neutral Coloured Clothes – One of the main reasons you are here is to see the magnificent animals roaming the area. Wear neutral coloured clothes to blend in to the surroundings to avoid alarming the animals or scaring them away.
- Cool Clothes And A Warm Jacket – The days are often hot, and the nights can be cool. Bring cool clothes and a jacket that you can easily carry with you.
- Comfortable Shoes – Unless you are planning an extended hike, you need not invest in specialised hiking boots. Comfortable walking shoes should do the trick.
- Moisturisers And Creams – The change in environment can dry your skin out tremendously. Be prepared by packing some lip balm, as well as your moisturising cream and hair conditioner to help you feel your best at all times.
For more information about what to bring, contact Lukimbi Safari Lodge. We are masters in hosting top-class African wildlife safaris and will happily answer your questions and assist you with a booking at our 5-star lodge located within the easily accessible southern part of the world-famous Kruger National Park in South Africa.